Wednesday, April 11, 2012

My DIY Kitchen Island

After finishing up my back splash project, I decided to attempt to do a DIY kitchen island. I looked into getting a slab to match the laminate that is on our counter tops...but after getting the quote back for around $400 for it... I decided I'd go with the butcher block look. 

First step was purchasing a cabinet base from Home Depot. It cost $139 but since the one we got had a little knick...they took off $20. Here is how the cabinet base looked when we first bought it:

Next, I stained the cabinet base Colonial Maple which was the closest color I could find to our current cabinets. The backside of the cabinet base is unfinished, so I purchased a piece of wood and nailed it to the back of cabinet base.  See pic below:

Since I wanted to add a little pizazz to the island, I decided to add tiles to the back side. So I used the same process as I did for the back splash for the back side of the island base. 



After that was done, it was time to move on to the actual countertop.  I purchased a 4X8 piece of pine for the countertop and got it cut in two equal sized pieces (to stack on top of each other).  But I made a big mistake by getting pine because the cabinet base is oak.  So after I stained the pine countertop, I quickly realized I should have gotten oak for the countertop because the stain takes differently on different types of wood.  So since I had already purchased the pine and didn't want to completely waste the wood, I decided to keep it and just buy a thin piece of oak to put on top of the two pieces of pine. Also, we added the handles and knobs to the drawers and doors.  See pic below:



We attached all the boards together with a few nails and screws and then it was time to do the edging.  I purchased iron on veneer siding from Lowes. It was $5.46 per roll and I ended up using two rolls.  My island counter top dimensions are 35X48. 

This stuff is pretty cool because you just use an iron to adhere it.  I also purchased the Band It cutter which helps you cut off any excess.  Def make sure you purchase this. Here is how the edging looked after I affixed it to the edges:
After applying, I stained the edging and then did 3 coats of polyurethane and walah... all done! :)
Not bad for about $200 or so!


3 comments:

  1. You've inspired me. I am using your DIY counter top for my new kitchen island! After having it for sometime, would you modify your build? In another DIY, someone used butcher block and it was suggested that the holes they drilled for the counter top be larger as the wood expands and contracts. I could not find the exact 4x8 you used, I think mine is birch....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Download over 16,000 WOODWORKING Plans at here
    http://woodworkingplanspro.weebly.com
    Woodworking guide offers anyone of any skill level the ability to build amazing projects. The guide is extra helpful because it offers more detailed explanations, videos and blueprints then your typical woodworker magazine.
    Hope it will help you next time !

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my very first time i go to here. I discovered a great number of entertaining stuff in your blog site, particularly its discussion. From your tons of feedback in your articles, I guess I am not the only one possessing each of the satisfaction here! Preserve up the great operate. Cooksty

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails