Wednesday, August 4, 2010

A Look Back : How I Started my Handbag line

I get a lot of emails from people asking me how I started my handbag line.  It's quite funny because I never set out to start a line of handbags.  I've always been into making clothes though.  Back in college, I started a small clothing line I called D.B.N. (Designs by Nneka) ...although I never really had a real collection... lol.  My old college roomie and a few of my other friends may even still have some of the pieces I made.  But I never set out to make bags.  It all started back in 2005 after receiving this sewing machine (pictured above which I still use) from my parents for Christmas the year before.

At the time, I had no clue how that one Christmas gift would change my life.  One day I decided I would finally try to learn how to use the machine and attempt to make a little bag.  I wish I had a picture of my very first bag...lets just say it was 'interesting' .. lol.  After a bit more practice, something clicked and I decided to make about 10 bags just to see if people would buy them. I only charged $20 or so.  I went home to VA one weekend and sold every single bag.  It was then I had my ah-ha moment and decided to continue making them.  To date, Ive probably made over 300 bags. 

It still amazes every time I hear someone tell me how much they love one of my bags!  Its the greatest feeling ever to see someone rock something you made/designed with your own hands! I have some of the best, most loyal customers!  Its also a great feeling to know celebs like Jennifer Lopez likes your work...that doesn't hurt at all, right? :)

Now 5 years later, I'm still doing handbags.  I did take a little break when planning my wedding but I plan to have some new stuff out soon!

Today I'm featuring a few of my personal favorite bags from past collections (2007-2009).  Unfortunately, none of these are available anymore.  So for those of you out there who own one of these, lucky you!! :)

You know whats even sadder, some of the bags I liked the most, I never even made one for myself! Crazy, right? lol

Also, my website should be re-launching soon so stay tuned for that and be sure to join our mailing list at http://www.nnekasaran.com/ to get updates!




Stay tuned for more info on how to start your own handbag line!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Nneka,

    I love your bag line. Can't wait to add one of your bags to my collection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very talented!!! I love your bags. Wish I can sew and make a bag. I love them all!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails